8th August 2012, 23:08
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
S85 Long Term Preventative Maintenance/Supercharging
Feel free to ignore this. It should have been posted on M5board, I cant seem to find a way to delete.
My buddy is looking at buying a used 06 M5 with 85K ish miles and had a few questions on catastrophic failures and preventative maintenance (stuff that is not in the manual!)
I did a quick search on the forums and it seems the issue has been beaten to death on the E39 and E92 boards where I think its a bigger issue :-), I can imagine the M engines under load operate with a lot of stresses so not surprised. Basically it seems a few cars come from the factory with issues here that surface at low mileage due to a manufacturing flaw. If it doesnt happen, most cars see 100K miles with little or no observable wear, but there are isolated incidents of engine failure.
- Do long term owners here plan on/have done a rod bearing/chain guide inspection at 80-90K?
- Any other engine critical component inspection around that mark (including items like Vanos/oil line and pump, oil pump)
- Any common early warning signs (in case all he needs to do is wait till he hears something amiss before taking it in)
- For supercharger installation, would you all recommend replacing the pistons/connecting rods with forged components?
He is saving quite a lot of money on the purchase price (compared to a new M5) and is willing to pay a decent BMW specialist to do this work for peace of mind as he doesnt know how the owners have driven/taken care of the cars prior (oil change intervals, amount of time spent at high rpm, overevving).
Great video on the issue:
BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92) - View Single Post - Gintani Stage 3 Build for Paul Walker's AE Performance E92 M3 track car
An example thread
Rebuilding M5 S85 V10
Indy Red 2008 BMW M6 6 Speed Stick
- Options: Madeira Wood Interior, Merino Leather, Leather Dash, Keyless Entry
- Mods: Dinan Exhaust, 9500IX Detector, Calipers with M Badge, M Custom Mats, Front plate delete, Tint, CF license plate holder, Custom Plates, CF Front splitter, Blinder M27 Extreme with custom mounting, Custom Clear Bra Kit with full hood, A-pillars, doors etc
Next Near Term Customizations
- 12 F 15 R mm H&R Spacers
- Delete Charcoal Filters
Long Term Wish List
Gone but not forgotten
- RPI Scoops, RPI Filters, RPI Block Off Plates
- Headers (Undecided)
- Audi TT 225 Quattro 6 Speed, Revo Stage 2, Borla Turbo Back, Custom Mats, Stage 2 Brakes with stainless steel braided lines, ceramic pads, Silicone Intake Hose, DV, Aluminum Billet Shift Knob, Custom Plates, Pioneer Bluetooth Audio
Memorable cars I've driven
| 2011 Audi S4:
Best handling, grip, comfort balance in real world roads | 2011 Dodge Challenge R/T: Personification of muscle car, awesome comfy highway/boulevard cruiser with looks to match, great burnouts | 2012 Camaro SS: Gets stares everywhere, pulls like a locomotive | E36 M3: Best M3 made, bar none. Most nimble car I've driven | 2008 Evo X: Bionically connected to your brain | 2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage: The exhaust note is pure music | 2012 Boss 302 Mustang: Raw, loud, V8 Vantage for the redneck |Buddies tuned 580 HP/550torque E55AMG: Spins the wheels at 60mph!
Last edited by defyant; 9th August 2012 at 00:38.