The 6er cabrio service bulletin has not been updated since its initial release in November 2006. However, I assume it would still be the same issue more or less.
Convertible Top Does Not Completely Open or Close
|SI B54 17 06|
E64 (6 Series Convertible)
The customer may complain that either the convertible top will not completely open or close, or the convertible top appears to be completely open/closed, yet the red top operation light continues to flash and the top not locked message appears.
Fault code A6A4, for overspeed, will typically be stored in the CVM (Convertible Top Module) when this situation occurs.
The angle of rotation sensor on the tensioning bar is reading the wrong segment.
The sensor position segments are very close together; therefore, if the frame or the sensor itself is slightly out of position, the wrong segment may be read.
This condition is exaggerated by temperature-induced expansion, such as when the vehicle sits in direct sun for an extended period of time.
The angle of rotation sensor has been updated with improved tolerances for segment recognition.
The updated parts have been produced from 8/2005.
In case of a customer complaint,
follow the recommendations below.
Procedure A -
- Attempt to reproduce the customer's complaint. This may require allowing the vehicle to sit in the sun to promote some degree of temperature induced expansion.
- Compare the convertible top statuses via the DIS Plus or GT1, to the known correct statuses displayed in the attachment.
- If the angle of rotation, tensioning bar, is reading the wrong segment at any position of the convertible top, proceed with procedure A or B.
vehicles produced up to 8/2005:
- Replace the angle of rotation sensor with the updated part.
- Note: The part number did not change, and the updated part can be identified by a date code of August 1, 2005, shown as 1.8.05.
- Allow the car to sit in the sun with the top closed and then verify the correct operation of the top.
- If the same condition returns, follow procedure B
- vehicles produced from 8/2005:
- The existing sensor will need to be removed from the convertible top frame and modified.
- After removing the sensor from the frame, elongate the two upper attachment holes on the sensor cover as shown by the arrows.
- Each of these 2 holes should be elongated in the indicated direction by approximately 2-3mm using a small hand file.
- Install the sensor back onto the convertible top frame.
- Rotate the sensor clockwise about the lower, unmodified hole.
- Secure the bracket to the frame
- Check the convertible top position status and if possible, allow the car to sit in the sun to further validate the effectiveness of the modification.
- If the sensor continues to read an incorrect segment, it may need to be adjusted one or more times until it reads correct all the time.
|54 34 8 268 997|
|Angle of rotation sensor – tensioning bar|
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Here is the testing process they go through: