F12 6 Series - More Spy Shots.... - Page 2 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E63 BMW M6 Forum and BMW M6 Convertible | m6board.com 2005- Advertiser's Forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 22nd January 2009, 07:45 PM
S8toM6
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
S8toM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 95
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hardtop convertible??? I see a ragtop

TTV10 will not be high revving, any TT motor is normally a low-end powerplant. It's just the physics of a compressor (or 2 in this case)... the difference in the amount of air flowing at 6,000 rpm vs. 8,000 rpm is huuuuge and the turbos themselves would have to be massive in order to handle the flow. We all know massive turbos = massive lag, and if you think about it that's almost the same characteristic of the high-revving NA. The motor would have to be spinning real fast to make good power, and then you're back where you started (a 10-cylinder gas guzzler).
BMW is adding forced induction to give the motors low-end grunt and help increase efficiency. Bye-bye 8,250 redline, you will be missed
S8toM6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 Old 22nd January 2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
T Bone
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Not only criminals have guns
Posts: 4,917
Thanks: 299
Thanked 398 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8toM6 View Post
Hardtop convertible??? I see a ragtop

TTV10 will not be high revving, any TT motor is normally a low-end powerplant. It's just the physics of a compressor (or 2 in this case)... the difference in the amount of air flowing at 6,000 rpm vs. 8,000 rpm is huuuuge and the turbos themselves would have to be massive in order to handle the flow. We all know massive turbos = massive lag, and if you think about it that's almost the same characteristic of the high-revving NA. The motor would have to be spinning real fast to make good power, and then you're back where you started (a 10-cylinder gas guzzler).
BMW is adding forced induction to give the motors low-end grunt and help increase efficiency. Bye-bye 8,250 redline, you will be missed

Don't give up on the high revving engine yet..... If it is a torque monster, they need a new transmission.

These could be small snails for better low end torque.... This would be consistent with the 550 hp rumors.

Anyway, what color silk are you choosing for the sail hybrid system?

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 22nd January 2009, 07:56 PM
airgith76
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: London
Posts: 28
Thanks: 48
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think all this engine talk is sheer speculation. Nothing that has been said is concrete yet...I mean the words speak for themselves; "may end up with a new V10 twin-turbo". Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a high revving TTV10 to show Audi how it's really done but I won't get my hopes up until officials at BMW say so.
airgith76 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 22nd January 2009, 08:02 PM
S8toM6
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
S8toM6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 95
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Don't give up on the high revving engine yet..... If it is a torque monster, they need a new transmission.

These could be small snails for better low end torque.... This would be consistent with the 550 hp rumors.
Well, first let me say that while NA motors are great, the next-gen biturbo variants will be awesome as well.

But to respond, they are putting in a new transmission, the DCT. And if they are small snails, which I agree they probably will be, that's where the rev-limit comes from, as the turbos will run out of steam up top.

True though, there still might be hope.... I suppose they could throw on a couple small snails to assist down low, allow revs to climb up to 8 and let the V10 do the rest regardless of FI. Hadn't thought of that before. Whatever happens, it'll be interesting for sure. I just hope they don't make it ugly (E63 = gorgeous!).
S8toM6 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 22nd January 2009, 08:57 PM
brasco21
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
brasco21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY/Boston
Posts: 248
Thanks: 17
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
brasco21 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 22nd January 2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
T Bone
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Not only criminals have guns
Posts: 4,917
Thanks: 299
Thanked 398 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8toM6 View Post
Well, first let me say that while NA motors are great, the next-gen biturbo variants will be awesome as well.

But to respond, they are putting in a new transmission, the DCT. And if they are small snails, which I agree they probably will be, that's where the rev-limit comes from, as the turbos will run out of steam up top.

I understand, in a seperate thread, the current MDCT transmissions cannot handle big torque....

The only thing "wrong" with the current V10 is that it doesn't breathe well enough at low rpms to allow for efficient highway cruising....

....and it is missing about 100 hp.

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"...... Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 22nd January 2009, 11:23 PM
Fahrenheit
Addicted Member (>300 posts)
 
Fahrenheit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia.
Posts: 331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
....and it is missing about 100 hp.

- MY08 E63 M6 Coupe, SMGIII, Individual Blue Onyx, Champagne Leather, Piano Black; new.

- MY06 E63 650i Coupe, Steptronic, Mineral Silver, Individual Platinum Leather, Walnut Amarone; new, gone, replaced by M6.
Fahrenheit is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome