"BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year......... - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

Go Back   BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums > BMW M5, M5 Touring, M6 and Z8 Forums > E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion

E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:08   #1
jais46
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
jais46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ATL

Garage: 2006 M6, 2006 750Li; 2008 M3; X5; 2004 Nissan Titan

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
"BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

......... - there's now a 12 month waiting list"

This from the "news" area of BMW2002.com under Other News (13/11/05).


http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/news.htm


Interesting since there is a lot of talk on this board with regards to unsold M5s sitting on dealer lots.
jais46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:31   #2
m_five
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
m_five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco bay area

Garage: '05 545i silver gray

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jais46
......... - there's now a 12 month waiting list"

This from the "news" area of BMW2002.com under Other News (13/11/05).


http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/news.htm


Interesting since there is a lot of talk on this board with regards to unsold M5s sitting on dealer lots.
My experience is that with high end cars, the waiting lists in the UK are much longer than in the US, so it would not surprise me.
m_five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:37   #3
jais46
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
jais46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ATL

Garage: 2006 M6, 2006 750Li; 2008 M3; X5; 2004 Nissan Titan

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_five
My experience is that with high end cars, the waiting lists in the UK are much longer than in the US, so it would not surprise me.
Good point. My first reaction with regards to M5's and M6's being sold out was globally. Since this is a UK board they're probably referencing the UK situation.

I'd love to hear from our British friends on this.
jais46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 20:46   #4
Ashok Arora
Moderator
 
Ashok Arora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: London, England

Garage: photos of cars spotted around London

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 525
Thanked 253 Times in 154 Posts
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Order today in the UK and you're looking at mid 2007 for delivery.

Having said that, there are plenty of 'slightly' used examples on the market, but would you buy a car that's been trashed by someone else and not in your preferred colour combination?!
__________________
Ashok
2002 E39 Carbonblack/Caramel M5 (best car I ever owned)
2005 E60 Blue Onyx/Caramel/Light Figured Ash M5 (worst car I ever owned)
2007 E90 Montego Blue/Black Alpina D3 (sublime)
next up.. ??

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...kend-hell.html
Ashok Arora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 21:10   #5
m_five
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
m_five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco bay area

Garage: '05 545i silver gray

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Arora
Having said that, there are plenty of 'slightly' used examples on the market, but would you buy a car that's been trashed by someone else and not in your preferred colour combination?!
No thank you!
m_five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 21:21   #6
Filthy Monkey
Moderator Emeritus
 
Filthy Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London

Garage: E60 M5, Silverstone II with Black

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Arora
Order today in the UK and you're looking at mid 2007 for delivery.

Having said that, there are plenty of 'slightly' used examples on the market, but would you buy a car that's been trashed by someone else and not in your preferred colour combination?!
Thanks, Ashok. you're doing wonders for our residuals!!
__________________
E92 M3 - Jerez Black with Fox Red
E60 M5 - Gone
E63 M6 - Gone
Filthy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 21:22   #7
jfenley
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
jfenley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: So Cal

Garage: E60 M5 Silverstone/Full Silverstone Perf/Aluminum

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 3 Posts
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

My dealer told me that there are only 1,500 coming to the US in 2006. If this is true (is there a way to verify this??), then I would expect that dealers will be able to charge a premium because the supply will be very limited. There are cars sitting on some dealer lots now because a full year's allocation was shipped in a compressed time frame. Those cars will disappear fast.
jfenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 22:02   #8
PPG4
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
PPG4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Diego, CA

Garage: 2001 M5 Ti Silver

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenley
My dealer told me that there are only 1,500 coming to the US in 2006. If this is true (is there a way to verify this??), then I would expect that dealers will be able to charge a premium because the supply will be very limited. There are cars sitting on some dealer lots now because a full year's allocation was shipped in a compressed time frame. Those cars will disappear fast.
Published reports (eg Edmunds write up on the E60 M5) have indicated production to be 2000 per model year.

What I've heard from three seperate dealers (take it with a grain of salt) is that yes, the launch production for the US was front loaded to help alleviate the complaints about the high mark ups that accompanied the E46 M3 and E39 M5 launches in the US. The problem is they produced them so fast, that there were a number of people holding leases with another six months (or more) on high line cars so they weren't ready for delivery (this is how I got my car). In addition, there were a fair number of people with early production spots who decided to hold out for the standard manual.

As it relates to worldwide supply, I would bet that the launch production for the US took a larger percentage of the overall production in these initial months than it will later on...
PPG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 22:46   #9
m_five
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
m_five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco bay area

Garage: '05 545i silver gray

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenley
My dealer told me that there are only 1,500 coming to the US in 2006. If this is true (is there a way to verify this??), then I would expect that dealers will be able to charge a premium because the supply will be very limited. There are cars sitting on some dealer lots now because a full year's allocation was shipped in a compressed time frame. Those cars will disappear fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG4
Published reports (eg Edmunds write up on the E60 M5) have indicated production to be 2000 per model year.

What I've heard from three seperate dealers (take it with a grain of salt) is that yes, the launch production for the US was front loaded to help alleviate the complaints about the high mark ups that accompanied the E46 M3 and E39 M5 launches in the US. The problem is they produced them so fast, that there were a number of people holding leases with another six months (or more) on high line cars so they weren't ready for delivery (this is how I got my car). In addition, there were a fair number of people with early production spots who decided to hold out for the standard manual.

As it relates to worldwide supply, I would bet that the launch production for the US took a larger percentage of the overall production in these initial months than it will later on...
Do a search--I've posted the yearly E39 M5 US sales numbers a few times. Unless BMW decides to reduce E60 vs. E39 M5 US sales (not likely, since AMG production basically doubled this vs. last generation--11,500 in 2000, to >20,000 in 2004 worldwide), there's simply no way 1,500 or 2,000 per year in the US.

I would agree that the first several months of US sales were abnormally high (some dealers getting 5, 6, 7+ cars per month). The first full year of E39 M5 US sales ('00) was ~3,000...I'd be surprised if it weren't 4,000+ for 2006. That would be less than 1/dealer/month on average.

The days of BMW M and AMG limited production are over. That segment of the market has exploded and BMW would be foolish not to participate. Anything to the contrary is dealer BS.
m_five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2005, 23:21   #10
jfenley
m5board.comoholic (>1000 posts)
 
jfenley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: So Cal

Garage: E60 M5 Silverstone/Full Silverstone Perf/Aluminum

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 3 Posts
Re: "BMW has sold out of M5 and M6 models for next year.........

Time will obviously tell, but from what it is sounding like, dealers DO have waiting lists now, and not enough allocation spots to fill orders. This could obviously change later in '06. But my dealer says 1500 for '06 and somewhat more in '07. They sell a lot of cars and have a big allocation, but they have gone back to over-sticker pricing, after letting the last three go at sticker. I don't think they would do this if they had plentiful cars on the way. Maybe they can't produce the e60 m5's as fast as the e39's - it is a much more complex car - production could be ramping up for larger numbers in late 06 thru 08/09. Just my thoughts - I'm not saying I'm right - just guesses.
jfenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Specifications of every BMW Der Abt Off Topic Forum 11 7th February 2011 22:35
BMW M6 Press Release no 1: World Debut of the new BMW M6 (short version). Gustav E63 BMW M6 Forum and BMW M6 Convertible | m6board.com 5 24th April 2010 20:07
M5 / M6 Comparison Filthy Monkey E63 BMW M6 Forum and BMW M6 Convertible | m6board.com 55 22nd November 2007 18:12
M5 / M6 Comparison Filthy Monkey E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 54 22nd December 2005 10:51
M6 sold out til 07' in the U.K. Just_me E63 BMW M6 Forum and BMW M6 Convertible | m6board.com 9 7th November 2005 00:09

Loading...

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:32.



Everything Copyright 2000-2008. Do not use ANYTHING from this site without written permission. All images, graphics, sound files, video files and text appearing on this web site are the exclusive property of m5board.com and are protected under international copyright laws. All images, graphics, sound files, video files and text on this site are for on-screen and on-site viewing and listening only. No part of this web site may be reproduced, copied, saved, stored, manipulated, or used in any form for personal or commercial purposes without the prior written permission of m5board.com. Use of any image or graphic as the basis for another photographic concept or illustration is a violation of the copyright. Any copyright infringement will be prosecuted to the full extent of federal and international copyright laws. M5board.com is an enthusiast board and we don't condone any dangerous activity. Our airfield events are completely safe based on years of experience, we conduct them during clear visibility with mature participants that have several years of experience with high-performance automobiles, large unobstructed run-off zones on sealed off private former military airbases and we clearly mark the braking zones. If inexperienced with high speed driving we do not recommend organizing your own event but attending a high-performance driving school. The use of the term "BMW" on this site is for reference only, and does not imply any connection between m5board.com and BMW AG or BMW North America.