Why a 7 speed gearbox... - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 14th September 2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Ashok Arora
Moderator
 
Ashok Arora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: London, England
Posts: 13,635
Thanks: 526
Thanked 254 Times in 154 Posts
Red Face Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Some reviews say that the 7 speed SMG gearbox is overkill and just a marketing gimmick.

I disagree. The relatively low torque of the new M5 means that the engine needs extra gearing to get the best performance out of it, especially from a standing start.

Thoughts about this?

Ashok
2002 E39 Carbonblack/Caramel M5 (best car I ever owned)
2005 E60 Blue Onyx/Caramel/Light Figured Ash M5 (worst car I ever owned)
2007 E90 Montego Blue/Black Alpina D3 (sublime)
2015 White/Saddle Brown Alpina XD3 BiTurbo.. omg!!!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...kend-hell.html
Ashok Arora is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 14th September 2004, 07:21 PM
vndkshn
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
vndkshn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 2,807
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Well, at least one of those articles said that there was plenty of low end power, negating the need for the 7 gears in that aspect.

However, my guess is that they went for 7 to get the most acceleration they could get out it to win the stop light war and provide the right gear at the right time in the turns.

However, the downside with this will mean more shifting in normal driving. At least that is one benefit of SMG in this case. I wonder how SMG will handle skipping gears?
vndkshn is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 14th September 2004, 08:51 PM
flynhawaiian
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

I was kinda thinking that they were meeting fuel economy regulations by putting in the 7th gear, which I assume is some super overdrive. Would be cool if on the highnway the car got 25 mpg


Quote:
Originally Posted by vndkshn
Well, at least one of those articles said that there was plenty of low end power, negating the need for the 7 gears in that aspect.

However, my guess is that they went for 7 to get the most acceleration they could get out it to win the stop light war and provide the right gear at the right time in the turns.

However, the downside with this will mean more shifting in normal driving. At least that is one benefit of SMG in this case. I wonder how SMG will handle skipping gears?
flynhawaiian is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 14th September 2004, 09:08 PM
chuckg
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawaiian
I was kinda thinking that they were meeting fuel economy regulations by putting in the 7th gear, which I assume is some super overdrive. Would be cool if on the highnway the car got 25 mpg
According to the post with the specs in Deutsch, 6th is direct and 7th is .833 which is not terribly high for an overdrive gear.
ChuckG

Last edited by chuckg; 15th September 2004 at 12:05 AM.
chuckg is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 14th September 2004, 09:09 PM
chuckg
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawaiian
I was kinda thinking that they were meeting fuel economy regulations by putting in the 7th gear, which I assume is some super overdrive. Would be cool if on the highnway the car got 25 mpg
According to the post with the specs in Deutsch, 6th is direct and 7th is .833 which is not terribly high for an overdrive gear.
ChuckG
chuckg is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 15th September 2004, 12:45 AM
flynhawaiian
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Not teribly, but probably good for a sport car. I will take a guess at 6th gear being 1:1. Whats the rear end on this 4.10:1?? or are they going taller like 3.73??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg
According to the post with the specs in Deutsch, 6th is direct and 7th is .833 which is not terribly high for an overdrive gear.
ChuckG
flynhawaiian is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 15th September 2004, 02:29 AM
MEnthusiast
Moderator Emeritus
 
MEnthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 10,686
Thanks: 55
Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vndkshn
However, my guess is that they went for 7 to get the most acceleration they could get out it to win the stop light war and provide the right gear at the right time in the turns.
This is my guess as well.

All the best,
Jerry
00 Z8 Jet Black/Red Sport / some others
MEnthusiast is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 15th September 2004, 09:32 AM
Ferrari-Bmw
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Iceland// Nürburgring//Ascari
Age: 51
Posts: 2,804
Thanks: 192
Thanked 195 Times in 151 Posts
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg
According to the post with the specs in Deutsch, 6th is direct and 7th is .833 which is not terribly high for an overdrive gear.
ChuckG
true but the engine revs to ~~~~>> 8000+ so thats ,,why the car is capable to go 200 mph +

Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
E34 550 V12 JML

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/
Ferrari-Bmw is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 15th September 2004, 04:46 PM
chuckg
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawaiian
Not teribly, but probably good for a sport car. I will take a guess at 6th gear being 1:1. Whats the rear end on this 4.10:1?? or are they going taller like 3.73??
6th is 1.1 (i.e. direct) and the final drive ratio appears to be 3.62 if I'm interpretting the German specs right.
ChuckG
chuckg is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 15th September 2004, 05:27 PM
Suretyagent
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
Suretyagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Oregon USA
Posts: 842
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Why a 7 speed gearbox...

The answer will be revealed the first time you drive the new M5. I have no doubt that the gearing will seem perfectly spaced for the engine and that BMW would have designed eight or even nine speeds if they felt it would have enhanced performance.

If launch control works as well as I believe it will (think F1 car launching from a stand-still after a pit stop) the first three gears should snap off some seriously quick acceleration that will continue into higher speeds with each successive well-spaced gear. But it will probably take some re-programing of our brains to get used to the more frequent and frenetic action.

Unfortunately the top gears will not be fully appreciated without removal of the electronic top speed limiter.

Derek
Suretyagent is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Press Release 3: The new sequential M transmission: Shifting gears even faster wit... Gustav E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 1 5th July 2004 03:58 AM
Press Release 3: The new sequential M transmission: Shifting gears even faster wit... Gustav Most Memorable Threads' 0 4th July 2004 09:28 PM
Official press release: Engine / Drive System enots E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 9 24th June 2004 12:50 AM
SMG Press Release Omar E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 12 18th February 2001 10:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome