1. From a cold start, how long do you warm up the motor before driving away?
Yeah, I usually let the car sit for about 10-15 minutes warming up, basically as soon as cold start is done and RPM's fall below 1k I slowly drive off, without any revving and shifting as low as possible.
2. When the motor is still warming up, (oil NOT at 210), at what RPM do you normally shift gears when just cruising around town?
I try to shift early, may be 2.5-3.5k rpm, despite the fact that my smg clearly doesn't like that - blinking gear indicator...
3. When the motor is warm, (oil at 210), What RPM do you normally shift gears when just cruising around town?
First of all, I never just 'cruise' in town and I generally hate driving slow. Moreover, it constantly pisses me off how other drivers in Boston are driving like they are half asleep at the wheel or they just can't drive. Hence, I shift at 8600 RPM (Evolve-R Stage 2 Remap) quite often, at least 15-20 times per day
4. What do you mostly run in: P400? P500? Or M mode?
Honestly, I find myself in M-mode as soon as the engine warms up to full operating temperature. For me, M-mode is set at P500S, DSC OFF, EDC Comfort (Horrible roads in Boston) and of course SMG in manual S6
5. How much have you used / do you use the launch feature?
I've used LC about 5-7 times since I purchased the M5 on the 15th of March 2013, so almost 6 months ago! However, I did have to change the clutch/flywheel and have not done any launches since then!
6. How many miles on your original clutch?
My original clutch/flywheel crapped out on me after 38000 miles, of which only 5000 where my miles + 5-7 LC starts! New clutch should last at least another 30k (Fingers crossed!)
7. How many track days has your car seen?
Unfortunately, my car has not seen a single track day...
8. How many miles have you got on a set of brake pad? Rotors?
When I bought my car at 33000 miles, the stealership replaced all four rotors and brake pads as part of the deal (Also got a set of new tires). So fast forward 6 months and right now I have driven about 7000 miles on these parts without problems.
9. How often do you use D mode?
Honestly, I don't like D mode and never use it!
What else do you do, to "properly" operate your car?
Taking good care of the M is vital for her longevity, so I am following my own maintenance schedule. Unfortunately, I have no idea how the car was treated by the two previous owners and the 33k miles they drove, but I am assuming they followed the blind BMW-recommended schedule!
When I bought the car in March, as part of the deal I had all fluids changed (engine oil/filter, smg trans, rear diff fluid, brake fluid flush), and also they changed the filters and as mentioned above I had new rotors/pads installed. Since this 'major' service, I had another oil change done at 38k miles while the car was getting a new clutch/flywheel and going to change the spark plugs in when I hit 40k miles (should have done it much earlier, I know I know...)