Bigger/better intake filter for ESS VT setup? - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

Go Back   BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums > BMW M5, M5 Touring, M6 and Z8 Forums > E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion

E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum

Like Tree14Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th January 2013, 10:06   #1
KennethH
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
KennethH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden

Garage: #SOLD#BMW M5 E60 ESS VT2 SC, Carbon Black #SOLD# Lexus RX Executlive Black/black

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Bigger/better intake filter for ESS VT setup?

I'm trying to cope with the winter season by thinking of new mods to make for next summer season

Have anyone looked into replacing the intake air filter that comes with the ESS VT2 setup? First of all, I think a bigger filter would fit, if any bigger models are available. Secondly, this model have a closed gable, so the effective filter surface is only the visible one on the outside. I know there are cone filters with open gable and filter surface on the inside too. Anyone that can comment on this?

This is a dry filter, right? When it's dirty, you simply replace it?

What make and model is the ESS filter?

Edit: Sorry about the dirt. It's from the long drive back home, from ESS in Norway. It's been cleaned after this pic was taken. The uneven covering with dirt, reveals that I might have been looking closely at the intake
Attached Thumbnails
Bigger/better intake filter for ESS VT setup?-img_1087.jpg  

__________________
#SOLD#BMW M5 ESS VT2 SC (601 RWHP @ 99 RON)#SOLD#

Options (a selection of all 31 options)
Fully extended Merino black leather
BMW Individual Carbon black
BMW Individual Alcantara black headlining
BMW Individual Black piano paint trim
BMW Individual Shadowline
BMW Individual Tinted Windows
BMW Individual Silverstone II color rims
Climate comfort windows
Glass sunroof
Active sport seats
Navigation Professional
Radio Professional Logic7
Bluetooth
DVD/TV
Voice command
All mirrors auto shade
PDC front and rear
Heated back seat

Mods
ESS Tuning VT2-650 (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...60-m5-s85.html)
ESS Tuning SMG software
Lowtec Lowering springs (front) (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...nd-e60-m5.html)
LED Exterior Lighting
LED Angel eyes (6000 k)
Xenon bulbs 50 W (6000 k)
Matt black kidney grilles
BBS lug bolts with Silverstone II paint
Custom painted wheel hubs
Full paint correction work (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...polishing.html)
Paint top coat sealant (6 layers)
Glass treatment (6 layers)

Last edited by KennethH; 29th January 2013 at 10:09.
KennethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 14:50   #2
Hasan Shaikh
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
Hasan Shaikh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UAE
Age: 35

Garage: E63 ///M6 - White

Sales Feedback: (2)

Thanks: 2,289
Thanked 962 Times in 758 Posts
I don't think it will make a difference with the supercharger.
Hasan Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 15:51   #3
KennethH
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
KennethH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden

Garage: #SOLD#BMW M5 E60 ESS VT2 SC, Carbon Black #SOLD# Lexus RX Executlive Black/black

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
I don't think it will make a difference with the supercharger.
Ok, please explain why. I'm a man of science, so an explanation will be needed
KennethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 16:30   #4
Hasan Shaikh
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
Hasan Shaikh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UAE
Age: 35

Garage: E63 ///M6 - White

Sales Feedback: (2)

Thanks: 2,289
Thanked 962 Times in 758 Posts
I am no expert on this; but even if you can draw in more air, the supercharger will only produce the boost it is programmed to.

IMHO! The bottleneck is how much boost the engine can take. I am sure the intake and the blower are capable of creating much more boost than what they are programmed to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethH View Post
Ok, please explain why. I'm a man of science, so an explanation will be needed
Hasan Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 16:54   #5
KennethH
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
KennethH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden

Garage: #SOLD#BMW M5 E60 ESS VT2 SC, Carbon Black #SOLD# Lexus RX Executlive Black/black

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
I am no expert on this; but even if you can draw in more air, the supercharger will only produce the boost it is programmed to.

IMHO! The bottleneck is how much boost the engine can take. I am sure the intake and the blower are capable of creating much more boost than what they are programmed to.
Thanks for your reply. Well, that's the thing, there is no such programming with this kit. The system is, besides ECU programming, pretty much based on mechanical changes/additions to the engine. The supercharger unit/impeller is belt driven and boost level is given by the gearing of the belt drive (if you don't alter the internal SC gearing) and ultimately the maximum boost level is controlled by the setting of the waste gate on the manifold, if I've not missed out on something. Under certain conditions (most/all conditions), there will be sub-atmosphere pressure in the intake pipe prior the SC unit, due to flow resistance in the intake. It will be greatest under WOT and max rev and it will result in a certain amount of power loss, since the SC unit will have to "suck" in the air. But I'm not sure how much power it uses. But I'm pretty sure too, since it's forced induction, there won't be very big gains to get from this. I was just curious if anyone did any testing or thinking around this. Making sure it's getting cold air instead, would make much bigger difference, than a lower resistance intake.

It would be interesting to see a dyno run with vs without filter, however. But ultimately, the reason for this post, is just that it's winter here and I'm bored from having the car sitting on stands in the garage and I try to plan ahead for next season...
KennethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 06:58   #6
Hasan Shaikh
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
Hasan Shaikh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UAE
Age: 35

Garage: E63 ///M6 - White

Sales Feedback: (2)

Thanks: 2,289
Thanked 962 Times in 758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennethH View Post
Thanks for your reply. Well, that's the thing, there is no such programming with this kit. The system is, besides ECU programming, pretty much based on mechanical changes/additions to the engine. The supercharger unit/impeller is belt driven and boost level is given by the gearing of the belt drive (if you don't alter the internal SC gearing) and ultimately the maximum boost level is controlled by the setting of the waste gate on the manifold, if I've not missed out on something. Under certain conditions (most/all conditions), there will be sub-atmosphere pressure in the intake pipe prior the SC unit, due to flow resistance in the intake. It will be greatest under WOT and max rev and it will result in a certain amount of power loss, since the SC unit will have to "suck" in the air. But I'm not sure how much power it uses. But I'm pretty sure too, since it's forced induction, there won't be very big gains to get from this. I was just curious if anyone did any testing or thinking around this. Making sure it's getting cold air instead, would make much bigger difference, than a lower resistance intake.

It would be interesting to see a dyno run with vs without filter, however. But ultimately, the reason for this post, is just that it's winter here and I'm bored from having the car sitting on stands in the garage and I try to plan ahead for next season...
What you are saying makes sense.

However, the supercharger is always sucking in air and blowing it in the engine. If you want to suck in more air, you should look into replacing the pulley.

IMHO! The filter will have no effect.

In addition, you should check this with ESS; I am sure they must have considered this in their development of the system.

Good Luck!
Hasan Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 11:42   #7
allmotor_2000
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Westlake Village

Garage: E60 M5 Silverstone

Sales Feedback: (3)

Thanks: 17
Thanked 108 Times in 65 Posts
I have dyno'd without the filter - doesn't improve. Bottle neck is the
pipe diameter, but that was solved its the larger pipe your kit has as
compared to having the DCI to compensate.

You will get more gains by cooling down the air.
allmotor_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 11:49   #8
allmotor_2000
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Westlake Village

Garage: E60 M5 Silverstone

Sales Feedback: (3)

Thanks: 17
Thanked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
I am no expert on this; but even if you can draw in more air, the supercharger will only produce the boost it is programmed to.

IMHO! The bottleneck is how much boost the engine can take. I am sure the intake and the blower are capable of creating much more boost than what they are programmed to.
Actually that's not correct. Supercharger just spins and compresses what it is given.
If its given less air, it will produce the same boost but lower volume of air.
There is no programming.... pure physics. Boyle's law: P1/V1=P2/V2

Last edited by allmotor_2000; 30th January 2013 at 11:51.
allmotor_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allmotor_2000 For This Useful Post:
Hasan Shaikh (2nd February 2013)
Old 31st January 2013, 10:03   #9
KennethH
Member, P500, DSC On (>600)
 
KennethH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden

Garage: #SOLD#BMW M5 E60 ESS VT2 SC, Carbon Black #SOLD# Lexus RX Executlive Black/black

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
I have dyno'd without the filter - doesn't improve. Bottle neck is the
pipe diameter, but that was solved its the larger pipe your kit has as
compared to having the DCI to compensate.

You will get more gains by cooling down the air.
Had to do some calculations and I came to the same conclusion in theory, so I'm sure it's as you say.
Any suggestions on how to cool the air, besides vented hood?
It's difficult to reach the cold outside air, without introducing new problems such as longer pipes, narrow sections etc.
KennethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 18:18   #10
tjav8b
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Garage: 2007 M5 /Silvertone II

Sales Feedback: (0)

Thanks: 100
Thanked 244 Times in 74 Posts
There are two different design routes to cooler air that are pictured here that would work with the space we have under the hood. The Shelby GT-500 and the G-Power Hurricane design. The only reason ESS did not do this is because of money. It was simply cheaper not to do it. ESS told me that it did not matter because the intercooler was so efficient. I would love to see their data. I have read reports with the GT-500 design that there was a 50hp difference between the cold air and open air design.
Attached Images
  
__________________
07' M5 SILVER/BLACK
ESS VT2

Last edited by tjav8b; 31st January 2013 at 18:19.
tjav8b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E60 Want to Buy: WTB RPI intake setup rittiman Parts / Other For Sale or Wanted 0 11th August 2012 03:50
ESS air filter leem5 E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 10 2nd April 2012 23:41
Part No. for K&N Air Filter for ESS Kits herrubermensch E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 13 19th February 2012 18:20
does the dinan intake setup come with the coupler from the maf to plenum? razahyde E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 3 7th October 2009 23:12
Video: the bigger the speed ,the bigger the mess Gustav Off Topic Forum 4 5th May 2007 01:33

Loading...

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:42.



Everything Copyright 2000-2008. Do not use ANYTHING from this site without written permission. All images, graphics, sound files, video files and text appearing on this web site are the exclusive property of m5board.com and are protected under international copyright laws. All images, graphics, sound files, video files and text on this site are for on-screen and on-site viewing and listening only. No part of this web site may be reproduced, copied, saved, stored, manipulated, or used in any form for personal or commercial purposes without the prior written permission of m5board.com. Use of any image or graphic as the basis for another photographic concept or illustration is a violation of the copyright. Any copyright infringement will be prosecuted to the full extent of federal and international copyright laws. M5board.com is an enthusiast board and we don't condone any dangerous activity. Our airfield events are completely safe based on years of experience, we conduct them during clear visibility with mature participants that have several years of experience with high-performance automobiles, large unobstructed run-off zones on sealed off private former military airbases and we clearly mark the braking zones. If inexperienced with high speed driving we do not recommend organizing your own event but attending a high-performance driving school. The use of the term "BMW" on this site is for reference only, and does not imply any connection between m5board.com and BMW AG or BMW North America.