Vanos pump repair - Page 5 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 53 Old 18th April 2013, 08:29 PM
jcolley
m5board.com Site Sponsors
 
jcolley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,177
Thanks: 77
Thanked 1,082 Times in 736 Posts
There is a code stored if VANOS pressure drops below the setpoint (not sure what that is), but if the car doesn't have that stored, you are probably ok.

The actual test procedure IAW with ISTA or DIS connects an external pressure gage to the VANOS system at the silver "T" banjo fitting just below the forward end of the intake plenums, aft of the fan cowl, where it branches off to either operating unit. The engine is run and the pressure is monitored using this external gage. I believe BMW currently uses a pressure transducer connected to an IMIB (Integrated Measurement Interface Box) attached to the ICOM diagnostic connector. But, this doesn't do anything special, I don't think, so you get the same value using a manual pressure gage with a range of 150bar. The whole point is just to be able to read the actual pressure instead of using the built in pressure sensor the car uses.

If this pressure is low, you have a few possible causes, but the actual fixes are limited to just two: the VANOS high pressure line (the one which had a recall for early vehicles) or the VANOS high pressure pump. It's hard to say what causes the pumps to fail for sure (no one has donated one for autopsy yet and I'm not keen on dissecting mine for the hell of it), but with all of the speculation of "swarf" contributing to VANOS solenoid failure, I'm sure running metal pieces through the equivalent of a five cylinder radial engine isn't good for it. It stands to reason these could be rebuilt somehow though.

However, if your only symptom is noise, I would recommend performing the VANOS system test in DIS or ISTA and then the ventilation (bleeding) procedure a couple of times and then reperform the VANOS performance test. The ventilation procedure takes about 18 minutes and makes some funky sounds as it goes through its paces, but some people see improvement after. The repair procedures in ISTA reference noise on startup after component replacement being normal until the system is fully bled.

Given that the system uses engine oil, it stands to reason that oil quality (i.e. age) may have an effect on system performance as well and that is mentioned in the VANOS solenoid test procedure discussion in ISTA. It implies that oil which is in poor condition can skew the performance test.

So, if you bleed the system and the solenoids current and stroke times come out in spec, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The car is usually pretty good about recording what goes wrong, just not great about telling you it recorded anything.
jcolley is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 53 Old 18th April 2013, 09:12 PM
MIGHTY5
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
MIGHTY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chino California USA
Posts: 3,584
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 7
Thanked 216 Times in 195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
There is a code stored if VANOS pressure drops below the setpoint (not sure what that is), but if the car doesn't have that stored, you are probably ok.

The actual test procedure IAW with ISTA or DIS connects an external pressure gage to the VANOS system at the silver "T" banjo fitting just below the forward end of the intake plenums, aft of the fan cowl, where it branches off to either operating unit. The engine is run and the pressure is monitored using this external gage. I believe BMW currently uses a pressure transducer connected to an IMIB (Integrated Measurement Interface Box) attached to the ICOM diagnostic connector. But, this doesn't do anything special, I don't think, so you get the same value using a manual pressure gage with a range of 150bar. The whole point is just to be able to read the actual pressure instead of using the built in pressure sensor the car uses.

If this pressure is low, you have a few possible causes, but the actual fixes are limited to just two: the VANOS high pressure line (the one which had a recall for early vehicles) or the VANOS high pressure pump. It's hard to say what causes the pumps to fail for sure (no one has donated one for autopsy yet and I'm not keen on dissecting mine for the hell of it), but with all of the speculation of "swarf" contributing to VANOS solenoid failure, I'm sure running metal pieces through the equivalent of a five cylinder radial engine isn't good for it. It stands to reason these could be rebuilt somehow though.

However, if your only symptom is noise, I would recommend performing the VANOS system test in DIS or ISTA and then the ventilation (bleeding) procedure a couple of times and then reperform the VANOS performance test. The ventilation procedure takes about 18 minutes and makes some funky sounds as it goes through its paces, but some people see improvement after. The repair procedures in ISTA reference noise on startup after component replacement being normal until the system is fully bled.

Given that the system uses engine oil, it stands to reason that oil quality (i.e. age) may have an effect on system performance as well and that is mentioned in the VANOS solenoid test procedure discussion in ISTA. It implies that oil which is in poor condition can skew the performance test.

So, if you bleed the system and the solenoids current and stroke times come out in spec, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The car is usually pretty good about recording what goes wrong, just not great about telling you it recorded anything.
thanks for info jcolley. funny thing ive noticed the 06 sound rougher than later models even with less miles on the 06.
MIGHTY5 is offline  
post #43 of 53 Old 18th April 2013, 09:25 PM
tbrown1985
Fellow Member (>400)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 434
Thanks: 11
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
tbrown1985 is offline  
 
post #44 of 53 Old 18th April 2013, 09:27 PM
tbrown1985
Fellow Member (>400)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 434
Thanks: 11
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
this was the code present when my line ruptured and was replaced under the recall early on
tbrown1985 is offline  
post #45 of 53 Old 18th April 2013, 10:40 PM
MIGHTY5
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
MIGHTY5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chino California USA
Posts: 3,584
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 7
Thanked 216 Times in 195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown1985 View Post
this was the code present when my line ruptured and was replaced under the recall early on
good info thanks.
MIGHTY5 is offline  
post #46 of 53 Old 20th March 2015, 08:53 PM
purplecty
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a DIY for this? My buddy has an 07 M5 that needs this repair but he is trying to see where he can get the special tools needed for the repair. Any input would be greatly appreciated...
purplecty is offline  
post #47 of 53 Old 30th March 2015, 05:09 AM
MNickle Biest
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 40
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
Is there a DIY for this? My buddy has an 07 M5 that needs this repair but he is trying to see where he can get the special tools needed for the repair. Any input would be greatly appreciated...
+1
MNickle Biest is offline  
post #48 of 53 Old 30th March 2015, 02:34 PM
mattcon
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 157
Thanks: 14
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
This is the DIY for the rod bearings and replacement and tear down of the VANOS pump is covered, though I don't think the internal line is covered.
BMW E60 M5 Rod Bearings DIY

It could probably be added to the master DIY list as VANOS pump replacement.

Last edited by mattcon; 30th March 2015 at 02:36 PM.
mattcon is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mattcon For This Useful Post:
MNickle Biest (31st March 2015)
post #49 of 53 Old 30th March 2015, 02:51 PM
anzafin
Member, P500 Sport, MDM on (>800)
 
anzafin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 821
Thanks: 62
Thanked 87 Times in 72 Posts
A different vanos oil pump question;
I have stored my original pump, which has 100.000km in it. It was removed and replaced along the rod bearing job, as a precaution (I have an early model car). The old pump was fully working. Should I try to sell it? You guys think I could get any bucks out of it?

- Antti -

Project Blog: BMW M5 - Flat Eric Edition

anzafin is offline  
post #50 of 53 Old 30th March 2015, 03:25 PM
jcolley
m5board.com Site Sponsors
 
jcolley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,177
Thanks: 77
Thanked 1,082 Times in 736 Posts
Antti, I have two for sale right now for several months. Seems there is some fear in purchasing a new one.

There's a misconception that they just grenade with no warning and i really believe that's false.

You can replace the drive gear on it and then it's identical to the new style pump. As long as the inner race is free of scoring, and the pistons move freely, the pump is fine.
jcolley is online now  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Vanos Solenoid Repair gzig5 E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 154 1st March 2016 10:10 PM
VANOS Repair in Germany Ady J_M5 E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 4 2nd April 2011 07:16 AM
Vanos Solenoid - anyone use Dr. Vanos to repair? reds2 E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 3 2nd March 2010 04:01 AM
break in after VANOS repair? Vossen10 E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1 14th September 2006 09:26 AM
report on vanos repair Jessem E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1 7th July 2003 02:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome