DIY: Reprogram Euro SMG software to US cars! (Faster shifts + 4k Launch Control) for free! - Page 33 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 2005- Advertiser's Forum

 104Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #321 of 1024 Old 7th October 2011, 06:07 PM
cryptyk
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
ESS says they were able to reflash the SMG computer. The repaired TCU is being shipped to me today, so I'll put it back in the car and see if things are back to normal.
Fingers crossed.
cryptyk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #322 of 1024 Old 7th October 2011, 06:09 PM
messex
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
messex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 990
Thanks: 136
Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk View Post
ESS says they were able to reflash the SMG computer. The repaired TCU is being shipped to me today, so I'll put it back in the car and see if things are back to normal.
Fingers crossed.
So, the question is, what did they use to reflash it? Is it something that ultimately the 'Enthusiast' could do, or does it require much more sophisticated tools?
messex is offline  
post #323 of 1024 Old 7th October 2011, 06:18 PM
M5Drifter
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
M5Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 76
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk View Post
ESS says they were able to reflash the SMG computer. The repaired TCU is being shipped to me today, so I'll put it back in the car and see if things are back to normal.
Fingers crossed.

Good Deal...

Reflash to what? US or Euro version?

Thanks.
Viper


Current:
2007 M5, Interlagos Blue
M5Drifter is offline  
post #324 of 1024 Old 8th October 2011, 05:43 AM
cryptyk
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just got the computers back from ESS. Plugged them into the car, and she fired right up!
Runs great. They put the Euro software on there for me.
Good news, I guess, is that if you brick your TCU trying this (for whatever reason - model year, power supply, etc), ESS is likely able to unbrick you.
I don't know how they did it, but I'm assuming they didn't use enthusiast tools. After all, they didn't have my car; they just had the TCU. I'm assuming they have a custom harness they plug directly into the TCU, or they take the TCU apart and flash the chips directly.
cryptyk is offline  
post #325 of 1024 Old 8th October 2011, 05:47 AM
cryptyk
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I should probably also comment about the Euro software: Much smoother shifting. Noticeable improvement. The old software would be jerky getting started in 1st gear, then be pretty jerky between 1st and 2nd. It's like it didn't modulate the clutch smoothly. I've even had it occasionally do that "stop/go/stop/go/stop/go" thing you get if you bounce the throttle in 1st gear on a manual.
The Euro version just shifts smoothly. I don't know how else to say it. It's a smooth, controlled modulation of the clutch. I always felt like I could drive a stick better than my SMG could. Now I feel like there's no way I could drive a stick as well as my SMG.
I haven't used the new launch control yet. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Oh - and the car starts up in D1 for sure. I don't remember the S number, but I think it was S3?
D1 used to be horrible. Now I kind of like it because the shifts are faster and smoother.
cryptyk is offline  
post #326 of 1024 Old 8th October 2011, 05:55 AM
M5Drifter
Member, Sport: Off DSC: On (>50 posts)
 
M5Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 76
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk View Post
I should probably also comment about the Euro software: Much smoother shifting. Noticeable improvement. The old software would be jerky getting started in 1st gear, then be pretty jerky between 1st and 2nd. It's like it didn't modulate the clutch smoothly. I've even had it occasionally do that "stop/go/stop/go/stop/go" thing you get if you bounce the throttle in 1st gear on a manual.
The Euro version just shifts smoothly. I don't know how else to say it. It's a smooth, controlled modulation of the clutch. I always felt like I could drive a stick better than my SMG could. Now I feel like there's no way I could drive a stick as well as my SMG.
I haven't used the new launch control yet. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Oh - and the car starts up in D1 for sure. I don't remember the S number, but I think it was S3?
D1 used to be horrible. Now I kind of like it because the shifts are faster and smoother.
Great News. Glad for you.

If you look at the "How to use Lanch control" videos, there is a way to use the cruise control stick to raise/lower the 4000 rpm range (up to 5000?). I am wondering if this is active after flashing the Euro software. I am not asking anyone to launch at 5000, but to see if they can see if it goes to 5000 while holding the shifter forward in launch mode and toggling the cruise control stick. Actualy, I would be more interested in lowering the 4000 base line to a lower setting using the cruise control stick to save the clutch.

Thanks,
Viper


Current:
2007 M5, Interlagos Blue
M5Drifter is offline  
post #327 of 1024 Old 8th October 2011, 01:23 PM
messex
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
messex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 990
Thanks: 136
Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts
You mind me asking the cost for the "repair"


Performance Mods
Eurocharged ECU Tune, Charcoal Filter Delete, RPI Ram Air Kit/Block Off Plates, RPI Oil Cooler, M Sprint Booster V2

Cosmetic Mods
H&R Lowering Springs, 20" ConceptOne Wheels, Blacked out Kidneys/Side Vents, 6W Angel Eyes
messex is offline  
post #328 of 1024 Old 8th October 2011, 04:41 PM
abomb60
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Drifter View Post
Great News. Glad for you.

If you look at the "How to use Lanch control" videos, there is a way to use the cruise control stick to raise/lower the 4000 rpm range (up to 5000?). I am wondering if this is active after flashing the Euro software. I am not asking anyone to launch at 5000, but to see if they can see if it goes to 5000 while holding the shifter forward in launch mode and toggling the cruise control stick. Actualy, I would be more interested in lowering the 4000 base line to a lower setting using the cruise control stick to save the clutch.

Thanks,
Viper
Yes the software version talked about here has that function.
abomb60 is offline  
post #329 of 1024 Old 8th October 2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Vodyk
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
Vodyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gwynedd, PA
Posts: 932
Thanks: 22
Thanked 134 Times in 81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by messex View Post
You mind me asking the cost for the "repair"
Yes would be interesting if they charge less to get to euro software then to flash their software. Would also be nice to know the differences between the euro software and ESS custom software.
Vodyk is offline  
post #330 of 1024 Old 8th October 2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Vodyk
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
Vodyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gwynedd, PA
Posts: 932
Thanks: 22
Thanked 134 Times in 81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk View Post
I just got the computers back from ESS. Plugged them into the car, and she fired right up!
Runs great. They put the Euro software on there for me.
Good news, I guess, is that if you brick your TCU trying this (for whatever reason - model year, power supply, etc), ESS is likely able to unbrick you.
I don't know how they did it, but I'm assuming they didn't use enthusiast tools. After all, they didn't have my car; they just had the TCU. I'm assuming they have a custom harness they plug directly into the TCU, or they take the TCU apart and flash the chips directly.
Glad to hear everyone is back up and running! Never wanted to make a thread that did more harm the good.
Vodyk is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EURO Launch CONTROL FOR M6 IN US! MIAMI-M6 E63 BMW M6 Forum and BMW M6 Convertible | m6board.com 5 6th July 2014 01:53 PM
Anybody try Euro Launch Control in the U.S. yet? 6speed E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 8 24th June 2013 06:57 PM
Euro Spec Launch Control for US Vehicles!?!?! gt40mki E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 11 27th September 2010 08:18 PM
Euro Launch Control - no limitiations on times used? Habib_2 E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 6 16th April 2007 04:34 PM
Launch Control Software?? dkim996tt E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 8 16th May 2006 08:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome