It sounds like every time there's a new board member, it's the same story. "I was a lurker for years and I finally pulled the trigger on my dream car." Well... I was a lurker for years and I finally pulled the trigger on my dream car!
The search was tedious, frustrating, yet exciting. I appreciate all the threads and users on this forum. It makes e39 M5 ownership that much better. I've been searching for months now for the correct car. At first, I was in love with Sterling Gray/Silverstone or Caramel. I opened my search to LMB cars, but ultimately thought the SG was going to be the color I went for. Lo and behold, this white/imola shows up with just 62k miles and I jumped for it. It's safe to say, I am in love with my color combination. I believe it is 1/16 made.
The car only has 62k miles. It had a major service done 12k miles ago (Vanos Bank 1 & 2, clutch, belts, rear upper control arms, and spark plugs to name a few). But I think there are a few more things that can use refreshing.
I flew up from Raleigh, NC to Newark, picked up the car and drove back as fast as I could, as I was trying to avoid hitting winter storm Helena. The car is riding on newer Michelin Pilot AS3's up front but has old Michelin Pilot Sports (not PSS) in back with very minimal grip. I knew I'd get stuck if the snow started sticking to the ground.
The maiden journey back to Raleigh took 9 hrs but it passed by like a breeze. This car eats up miles! I'm continually impressed at how well put together this car is. I don't hear any rattles and the car is a tank. I'm still getting used to the different noises that the S62 makes but all in all, it was an easy drive. I had a few people give me thumbs up's (never happened to me before other than a brief ownership of a Subaru LGT wagon I had). I'm still amazed at the amount of power these cars have in stock form. I barely found myself shifting out of 6th while on the highway.
I'm excited for the ownership (not excited about the expensive maintenance) and I'm super grateful to finally enjoy e39 M5 ownership. Here are some things the car needs from my initial drive:
- Seat twist (super annoying on a 9hr drive)
- Gauge cluster fix (Blackknight, I'm coming for ya!)
- New tires (I wonder if I should just put 2 AS3+'s in back until they wear... or should I just go for PSS?)
- New brakes soon (The rotors feel "warped" at high speed braking)
- Thermostat (the car continually runs a bit cool. I suspect the thermostat is left open)
- Engine & Diff oil (clutch was changed not too long ago so I suspect fresh fluid)
- There's a rhythmic sound coming from the front of the engine. I don't think it's the timing chain guides/tensioners at this mileage but who knows. I'll have to get it inspected.
- Cigarette lighter outlet is broken and heated seats don't work. Will take a look at the fuse box first.
- Rear bumper has some cracks in it and the wheels have some curbing. I'll take care of those later.
Here are some pics: