8th May 2000, 03:04
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to take advantage of a generous swap offer (it's a small world....Shawn and I knew each other from 12 years ago). So here are my impressions:
1. M5 is far more luxurious...in comparison, 993 is spartan
2. M5 torque is significantly more powerful
3. M5 suspension is more forgiving, though still provides good feedback
4. M5 engine sound is good (still can enjoy stereo), 993 is better.
5. Need to push "sport" button each time you start car is annoying
6. M5 seats are great, 993 in comparison is merely good
7. Biggest difference: in 993 you feel like you're in a sports car with some luxuries added, whereas in M5 you're in a very powerful sedan with an excellent sports suspension.
8. Personal quandary: 993 is my toy, to drive spring to fall with max. one passenger...M5 would be all year car, to drive family around. 993 is more fun, but M5 is close and can be enjoyed more frequently. So, if you multiply fun times frequency of enjoyment, M5 wins, but 993 vs M5 on a particular occasion, 993 wins.