Euro Road Trip in the making, so excited!!! - Page 3 - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 1998-2003 Advertiser's Forum

 150Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #21 of 293 Old 24th April 2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Leezamonkey
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
Leezamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chelmsford, Essex
Age: 29
Posts: 2,365
Thanks: 783
Thanked 389 Times in 238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39Sambo View Post
Sounds like an awesome road trip. I'd love to do a major trip like this but really can't afford it! However, I'm off to the Nurburgring with a load of the boys in 3 or 4 weeks now :-) Will be awesome. I'll have to make sure I get some decent pictures and video of that as well. Wish I could extend the trip to match yours!
Fuel is one of the biggest outlays of course, I'm budgeting for about £1200 worth, give or take.

You have a safe and great trip to the ring, yes we need pics and/or vids otherwise it didn't happen!

Matte Frozen Grey wrap, Evolve Alpha N and Power Re-map, Black Kidneys, Re-furbed Shadow Chrome Style 65 Wheels, Hayward and Scott Rear Boxes.
I have no carbon footprint, I have a carbon swimming pool!
Leezamonkey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 293 Old 24th April 2012, 03:24 PM
JimBeemer
Member, P500 Sport, DSC off (>900)
 
JimBeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Age: 74
Posts: 925
Thanks: 350
Thanked 298 Times in 198 Posts
This sounds like the trip of a lifetime Lee!!! Make sure to take lots of pictures! My #1 rule for road trips is to take half the clothes and twice the money you planned on before you left. What you are planning on doing has always been a dream of mine. I've been to several places in Europe by plane and train with my old company but to drive all over in a car like an M5 has been a long time dream of mine. I've wanted to see Highclere Castle where they film Downton Abby, spend more time in Paris and Vienna, and do the Ring Taxi.

Jim
JimBeemer is offline  
post #23 of 293 Old 24th April 2012, 04:06 PM
E39 M5
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
E39 M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 247
Thanks: 16
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mate i'd loved to have joined you on this but work commitments means no can do, have fun and enjoy defo is a trip of a lifetime

me and couple of mates have booked up to drive over to nurburgring exactly a month today and looks like they'll be going without me
E39 M5 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to E39 M5 For This Useful Post:
Leezamonkey (25th April 2012)
post #24 of 293 Old 24th April 2012, 04:55 PM
E39Sambo
Member, Sport: On DSC: Off
 
E39Sambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 246
Thanks: 3
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezamonkey View Post
Fuel is one of the biggest outlays of course, I'm budgeting for about £1200 worth, give or take.

You have a safe and great trip to the ring, yes we need pics and/or vids otherwise it didn't happen!
£1200, bloody hell. That's pretty good considering the mileage you're going to do. I guess a lot of it will be cruising around though, rather than the more usual M5 driving style

I'm so excited about my trip to the Ring, it's ridiculous. It'll be great to be driving on the wrong side of the road again, and on some decent quality road surfaces. I'll be hitting the continent at midnight on a Thursday night as well, so I'm expecting minimal traffic and a fair stretch of derestricted Autobahn :-) We shall have to test out this 155mph limiter stuff, GPS at the ready!

There's 9 of us going on my trip, and one of them is a dedicated cameraman for both photography and video. We've got a selection of video cameras and suction cup mounts as well, so finger crossed we can get in some decent videos. I'll try and squeeze in some proper photography type stuff with the car as well, just for you guys. I look forward to seeing your car dotted around Europe too! All the standard landmarks of course!
E39Sambo is offline  
post #25 of 293 Old 24th April 2012, 08:52 PM
vantaam5
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Luton,UK
Posts: 6,611
Thanks: 857
Thanked 2,440 Times in 1,393 Posts
Looking forward to soon meet you,my friend!

This will be a bloody nice road trip,for sure!

A week is more than enough for the stuff we do.

Let's hope we do not find any surprises while at it!
vantaam5 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to vantaam5 For This Useful Post:
Leezamonkey (25th April 2012)
post #26 of 293 Old 24th April 2012, 09:09 PM
bimmerule
Moderator
 
bimmerule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 6,554
Blog Entries: 12
Thanks: 1,117
Thanked 616 Times in 485 Posts
Traveling across 7 countries and 2 seas to find the best M5 mechanic on the planet, simply Splendid! Enjoy the trip and update long the way!

Maint: Liqui Moly 10W60 Race Tech GT1 Engine Oil, Pentosin MTF2, Mobil1 Full Synthetic ATF Steering Fluid, ATE Super Gold Brake Fluid
Wheels: Style 65 18x9.5" Squared 275/35/18 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport Star Spec, 3mm Front Spacers, Turner Motorsports Extended Bolts
Braking: Genuine BMW Rotors, Pagid Yellow RS 19 Endurance Racing Compound, Titanium Backing Plates, Open Brake Ducts, FTE Lines
Handling: Intrax Racing Springs, Bilstein B8 Monotube Dampers, Ground Control Camber Plates, Dinan Strut Tower Brace, Dinan Rear Sway Bar, X5 Thrust Arm Bushing
Power: Is Nothing Without Control, Stock Motor Dyno'd @ 341WHP, 319LB-FT Dynojet.
Aero: None Yet
Race: 13.37@103.38mph Englishtown, Lime Rock Park 1'09.9", New Jersey Motorsport Park Lightning Circuit 1'23.420", Thunderbolt Circuit 1'44.2", Watkins Glen International *tbd, Monticello Motor Club *tbd.
Gear: Bell SA2010 Sport Helmet, Sparco Tornado Racing Gloves, Sparco Speed+ Racing Shoes, OMP Balaclava
Winter: Style 66 17x8, 17x9 Staggered 235/45/17-245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 Studless Snows
Interior: E60 SSK, ZHP Shift Knob, MK4 Navigation, Umnitza VXX Angle Eyes, Brushed Aluminum Trim Swap
Favorite Quote: "Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your back end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall when you hit it. "
bimmerule is offline  
post #27 of 293 Old 25th April 2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Leezamonkey
M5 Guru (>2000 posts)
 
Leezamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chelmsford, Essex
Age: 29
Posts: 2,365
Thanks: 783
Thanked 389 Times in 238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeemer View Post
This sounds like the trip of a lifetime Lee!!! Make sure to take lots of pictures! My #1 rule for road trips is to take half the clothes and twice the money you planned on before you left. What you are planning on doing has always been a dream of mine. I've been to several places in Europe by plane and train with my old company but to drive all over in a car like an M5 has been a long time dream of mine. I've wanted to see Highclere Castle where they film Downton Abby, spend more time in Paris and Vienna, and do the Ring Taxi.
Thanks Jim! Fly over I'll take you with me
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 M5 View Post
mate i'd loved to have joined you on this but work commitments means no can do, have fun and enjoy defo is a trip of a lifetime

me and couple of mates have booked up to drive over to nurburgring exactly a month today and looks like they'll be going without me
Oh no, bad news! Hopw you can do it, would hate that if it was me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39Sambo View Post
£1200, bloody hell. That's pretty good considering the mileage you're going to do. I guess a lot of it will be cruising around though, rather than the more usual M5 driving style

I'm so excited about my trip to the Ring, it's ridiculous. It'll be great to be driving on the wrong side of the road again, and on some decent quality road surfaces. I'll be hitting the continent at midnight on a Thursday night as well, so I'm expecting minimal traffic and a fair stretch of derestricted Autobahn :-) We shall have to test out this 155mph limiter stuff, GPS at the ready!

There's 9 of us going on my trip, and one of them is a dedicated cameraman for both photography and video. We've got a selection of video cameras and suction cup mounts as well, so finger crossed we can get in some decent videos. I'll try and squeeze in some proper photography type stuff with the car as well, just for you guys. I look forward to seeing your car dotted around Europe too! All the standard landmarks of course!
There will be a lot of cruising, especially Sweden. I roughly get 300 miles per tank driving quite hard over here, so 3300 miles is 11 tanks @ £100ish a pop. Added another to be conservative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerule View Post
Traveling across 7 countries and 2 seas to find the best M5 mechanic on the planet, simply Splendid! Enjoy the trip and update long the way!
Lol well a man's gotta do...
I will be updating as I go with the odd pic as well.

Matte Frozen Grey wrap, Evolve Alpha N and Power Re-map, Black Kidneys, Re-furbed Shadow Chrome Style 65 Wheels, Hayward and Scott Rear Boxes.
I have no carbon footprint, I have a carbon swimming pool!
Leezamonkey is offline  
post #28 of 293 Old 25th April 2012, 12:55 AM
Slippery
Fellow Member (>400)
 
Slippery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kent
Posts: 477
Thanks: 40
Thanked 57 Times in 48 Posts
Sounds absolutely amazing, i can only dream of doing a trip like that, it won't happen all the time i'm married !!!!!

As others have said make sure you take plenty of breaks,stay safe, thats a lot of miles, takes me about 2 yrs to do 3300 miles in my M5 ! Look forward to the day to day reports and pic's.

Sorry to hear about your split buddy

Cheers
Simon.

2006 E60 M5, V70 D5 Sport R-Design.
Slippery is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Slippery For This Useful Post:
Leezamonkey (25th April 2012)
post #29 of 293 Old 25th April 2012, 02:52 AM
bmwMcrzy
M5 Expert (>4000)
 
bmwMcrzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,668
Thanks: 808
Thanked 467 Times in 363 Posts
I definitely live on the wrong side of the pond

GODSPEED

Last edited by bmwMcrzy; 25th April 2012 at 05:33 AM.
bmwMcrzy is offline  
post #30 of 293 Old 25th April 2012, 05:31 AM
frank///M5
Member, Sport: On DSC: On (>100 posts)
 
frank///M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: veldhoven holland
Age: 47
Posts: 129
Thanks: 4
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
send me the location in rotterdam and i may be there.

and this is a verry nice trip you are going to make.
frank///M5 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Road Trip Killer-Bimmer E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 1 15th August 2011 11:36 PM
4000 mile Euro road trip - a small taste 540i_sheff E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion 23 6th March 2010 06:59 PM
4000 mile Euro road trip - a small taste 540i_sheff Owners Gallery 3 27th February 2010 11:28 AM
Road Trip!! Chemikill E63 BMW M6 Forum and BMW M6 Convertible | m6board.com 6 28th June 2009 07:01 PM
Road Trip TheBigGooch E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion 0 14th June 2002 03:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome