Ok Guys..(and gals if there are any) I will admit..the M5 is BY far the best car I've owned performance wise and arguably looks wise...However there are some issues that I think BMW could have thought out a little better...maybe I'm being picky...but my payment is $1700 a month and I think I can afford to be picky...ok...so has anyone noticed.....
1. There is no real way to line up the steering wheel so you can see the WHOLE dash cluster?? I find myself constantly changing the wheel position so I can BARELY see the whole thing..If I move my seat or head I have to adjust again..thank God it's motorized and smooth. or then again..maybe I sit too far back...I'm tall and I just know I'm going to run into Grandma at 20MPH and get my nose broken by the airbag...I know 2 people this has happened to.
2. The oval mirrow is cute...but doesn't square up to the rear view mirrow too well..I'm getting used to it..(12,000 beautiful miles) but my 540 had a better mirror. I think the European models have the square ones judging from the pictures I've seen. Dealer said he would be happy to change it for $350!
3. back split seat flies forward during hard stops unless totally..and I mean totally secure in place..(slam!)
4. Bigger gas tank would be nice..at 22mpg I can barely get to Chicago from St. Louis on one tank of gas...And by the way...when the Germans say 0 range..they pretty much mean it...I found out the hard way one night in Lincoln, Illinois at 2 am.
5. Brake dust...what the F___!!! I know..I know...I hear how great the brakes are..and they are good..but there are alot of cars with good brakes that don't need to be cleaned EVERY DAY!
6. Wish it had the weather channel like the 540 did...not a big deal..but it was nice..
7. carpeeting is of very average quality...the mats are crap...the 540's were MUCH nicer. At least they got rid of those annoying retainer clips that broke all the time..
8.The cupholders break ALL THE TIME...I replaced 2 sets on the 540 and the rear one broke in the first week on this one...They should make them out of lightweight aluminum. I have little kids...they tug at them...
9. Moonroof works like a gutter in a light rain...hit the breaks and a tidal wave hits you....right on the head!
10....Tachometer that won't keep up..and a speedometer that reads 3.7 miles slow at 70 MPH...I complained about it..they gave some technical reason why it had to be this way..but none of my other cars had this problem..and 3.7 miles is just tooo much..
11. Rims that scratch WAAAAYYY to easily..I have black marks along the edges on the rear wheels..not sure why this doesn't happen to the fronts..
Having said all this...I wouldn't trade it for any other car on the street...She's a keeper...but it does have more of these little nagging issues than say the Accord and the Maxima I owned..