Evolve Automotive BMW E39 M5 S62 Header Project
Since we joined we have been speaking about producing our own headers for the S62 engine.
Over the last 3 months we have been continually working on the project and yesterday we posted up some early pictures of what the design would look like. Now that we are coming to the end of the project we feel that it's a good time to update everyone as the emails and PM's are increasing. We know there are many anxious people out there and we do not want to keep you hanging on thinking this is one of those projects that never ends up happening. So here's a small piece I have written and I have added some images.
To produce headers for the E39 M5 S62 with the vision of:
- Equal length primaries and secondaries
- 4>2>1 design
- Creating a system which is technically correct and has genuine thought and engineering behind it
- A system which will bolt onto the standard catalytic converters and the Evolve High Flow Catalytic converters
- Using very high quality materials - surgical grade stainless steel
- Giving a minimum honest power increase of 20-30hp with minimal loss in torque through the rpm band over the stock S62 headers
- A system which will not require the engine to be removed in order to fit
- Creating a system which is visually attractive and has that high end look
- Creating a system which does not resemble in anyway what so ever a current design (A1, Dinan, Supersprint, VM, etc)
- Creating a system which is extremely well built
- Creating a system which is designed and hand-built in the UK
- Completing the project in less than 6 months
- Creating a system which will appeal to those who want engineering excellence for the M5's without paying a horredous price tag
Project Time Plan:
Week 1>6 - All Calculations made and initial design drawn up, all necessary parts ordered (inc CNC machined flanges and bends)
Week 7>10 - Initial design created on car, removed and images taken
Week 10>11 - Final design created on car, fully tig welded and images taken (see below)
Week 12 - Dyno Testing, if results are satisfactory put into production, if not, make ammendments.
Week 13 - To create a map which maximises (safely) the potential of the design
Week 14 - If project is a success then immediately create LHD set to same standards (should take no more than 2-3 weeks)
We are currently on week 11.
Achievements to date:
- We have successfully created a system which has true equal length primaries and secondaries to within 1 inch. We can reduce this further but having seen many other designed we believe we will gain nothing by going any further especially given that even on the very best exotic cars the headers are not usually exactly equal. We can push to make them exact but this would mean increased development costs which will mean not achieving the aim of achieving a reasonable price point.
- The welding quality is excellent as are the materials.
- 4-2-1 achieved
- Fitment does not require the removal of the engine.
- Most header designs will require a realistic 6-8 hours to install. The Evolve design will take approximately the same time.
- Power testing updates to come and the very important point we would like everyone to know is that we willl be showing the following results:
- Minimum and Maximum power achieved by car which is to have headers fitted before fitting of headers
- Minimum and Maximum power achieved by car after headers are fitted
- Detailed graphs, RWHP and Flywheel, with correction factors
- We have managed to achieve a price point which will not far exceed what the most popular header choice is retailed at.
Images (taken during project):
Being uploaded...... will be up within 1 hour of initial posting time.....
Let us know what you think!
+44 (0) 871 231 1001
E39 M5 Tuning
AlphaN, Power Tuning, Cold Start Delete, SAP Delete.....
LHD RHD Medusa Headers, High Flow CAT's
Carbon Fibre Intake System
CAT Back Exhausts
Stage 1 Supercharger System
Stage 2 Intercooler Supercharger System
E60 M5 Tuning
Power Tuning, AlphaN, Cold Start Delete, CEL Light Removals
5-1 Long Tube Headers
E-Tronic CAT Back Exhaust
Carbon Fibre Intake System - In Development.....