Originally Posted by Bluerumble
I am interested your method of removal...
No. You're really NOT interested in my method of removal...you just don't know that yet.
I drilled out the four front bushings with a CORDED electric drill with the arms still on the car.
If you do this on the garage floor like me this means a long time laying on your chest or shoulders.
You need eye protection and a good assortment of bits. Your bits will break while doing this because you'll hit concealed metal in the bushings (mainly the thrust arms) while drilling thru what you think is rubber.
Your bits will dull for the same reason so you will also need a bit sharpening tool (Google Drill Doctor) unless you're the type who tosses dull bits into the trash.
Hot rubber chunks and metal shavings will hit your hands and forearms as well while you drill.
When you've drilled enough 1/4" holes around the metal center of the bushing if you're smart you will then insert a jigsaw into one of the openings and literally saw out the center pin. You'd think you could just drill out all of the rubber, but that just doesn't seem to work well. As you "swiss cheese" the rubber more and more it tends to slide away from your drill bit.
Once you jigsaw out the center getting the remaining rubber off of the bearing shell isn't too hard IIRC.
The bearing shell is what's press-fit into the arm. It looks like a shorter, wider version of a soda can, but with no top or bottom...and also made out of thicker metal of course. With no rubber left you can use your jigsaw (or a hacksaw...not easy!) to score the inner surface of the shell from end to end. Two parallel "fault lines" about 1/2" apart create a weak spot in the shell. From there you can crush the two sides of the bearing shell towards each other with a pair of channel lock pliers. The two parallel fault lines create a crumple zone and the pressure of the pliers causes the shell to collapse onto itself. Then it just pops out of the arm.
The goal here is to cut about 50% of the way thru shell when making your fault lines...not 100%. If you do that you risk scoring the inner surface of the arm itself. Not a good idea.
FWIW I would NOT do this if this is your daily driver. It just takes too long. You'll want to just quit and leave the car up on jackstands and try again the next day w/o putting it all back together.
If you decide to go for it PM me for more tips that will speed you up.
P.S. FWIW I tried pressing them out first, but that didn't work for me so I got pissed and just went medieval on them with everything in my garage. If you can rent/create/borrow a press that works w/o removing the arms I HIGHLY suggest that over the lunacy I unleashed onto myself.