Hi there, im new to the board. I'm am trying to buy a '93 M5 3.8 ~65,000 miles that is already in the US.
1. I was wondering what I should look out for when purchasing this car. Aside from a compression test, visual inspection of the edc shocks and various bushings is there anything else I should look out for?
2. Are any issues I might face when bringing it to California. The car is currently in the east coast. From what I know there is only 1 M5 3.8 in California?
3. Car had its tranny replaced. It only has 65,000 miles on it. This seems kind of soon for tranny replacement. From what I know, there is now a Getrag 280/6 in there. The rear diff is the stock 3.73 (correct me if im wrong). I know the stock diff mated to 6 speed versions of the 3.8 is different from 5 speed version, and then different again for the 3.6 models? So is tranny this early a sign of abuse, or lack of preventative maintaince or is the stock 3.8 5 speed problematic?
4. What paper work do I need to make sure the car is federalized, EPAed, DOTed, NTSAed, and "safe" to operate in California?
5. What is a fair price for this '93 3.8 with 65,000 miles? I can get one on mobile.de with dual airbags for about $12,000 USD for a '95, but i would need to get it federalized
Ok thanks for your help in advance. I did search the archieves for some of my questions, but since there was only 1 3.8 in CA right now, I though this deserved a post, and also introduce my self to the board.
Now for some background on myself, I am 23 right now, just graduated from a University. I had a '90 535iA, Silver/Gray with Dinan chip, '93 M5 wheels, Eibach Pro-kits, custom intake, white/red turn signals in the front and rear, all moldings painted, Eclipse 4422 deck, 12 disc changer, Fosgate 4x50. I loved that car, it had over 150K miles on it when I sold it. My parents offered me a '00 Volvo S70 T5 to keep if I like or to use while I found another car I liked. The S70 is really a great reliable, safe, efficient car (26 mpg), but I miss having an e34. The Volvo I feel is catered for someone much older than myself. I truely miss the wondering suspension my 535i had. When I had my 535i, I always wanted a M5 (US spec) until I found out there was a euro spec. 3.8. So now im searching for my 3.8. If have a few good racing stories, and a few not so good if anyone is interested in hearing them, perhaps in a different thread. I look forward to you replies.