I'd like to gather insight from a few other X5M owners on their experience with RFTs and/or if they did switched to non-RFTs. This is my first go round with RFTs and I can see the technology has somewhat improved since their introduction.
- What is your level of satisfaction, RFT or non-RFT?
- What replacement non-RFT did you choose?
- Any difference in ride & handling on non-RFTs?
- A spare solution? I found this at Bimmerzone: BMW X5M X6M E70 Spare Tire Kit (Emergency Space Saver) : Bimmerzone.com
- Any other suggestion for a spare solution? Third party jack & air compressor?
- Are you RFT drivers finding alignments at 5k or 7.5k or 10k extending the life of your RFTs?
From my research on this subject, I'd have to say I'm fairly fortunate to get 18,000 miles plus out of the Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport RFTs. It is my wife's primary mode of transport so I'm rarely in the SAV with her. This morning, in preparation for a long road trip to Wyoming, I drove it running errands around town. Whoa... it was noisy!
Surprisingly, the rear tread was in good condition but the blocks on the front tires showed a great deal of uneven wear. Photo is of front left.
There is room for a spare if I go the non-RFT route. Conservative measurement of the space is 24"x27"x8.5". Anyone use a wheel 19" or 18" wheel with the same bolt pattern & depth?
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.