It took longer than I thought, but my BiTurbo nr 270 is now back on the road
. The long delay was mostly because it took four weeks to get a new headgasket from Alpina/BMW...
The cylinderhead has been completely rebuilt, anything worn was replaced or refurbished. I also changed the cam chain. The cylinders looked almost like new, no signs of wear at all. I noticed that the turboīs were manufactured in -94, which means that they only have gone about 50000 km, they should be fine for at least another 50000 km.
My other BiTurbo, nr 120, will take me even longer to get fixed. I have removed the engine, and it will be dismantled and left at the place that did the head work, to see what needs to be done with it.
The BiTurbo is a pain in the a** to work with. Itīs very tight in the engine bay, especially around the turboīs. You also have to do things in the absolute right order, otherwise youīll end up with a hose, nut or whatever that just wonīt fit.
In the end itīs worth it of course. I had forgotten how smooth and quiet the BiTurbo goes. Not to mention the blinding acceleration, responsive steering and the finely balanced chassis. Driving a 1985 SAAB 900i for a month, does give you another perspective on things